Services » Starting or Stopping Utility Services

Signing up for service

In order to sign up for service at an address, you will first need to complete the “Utility Registration Form”.

You can print and submit a hard copy which can be found here or by visiting the Utility Office customer service window Monday through Friday from 8am – 4pm. 

If you completed a print form, you will need to bring it to the Utility Office customer service window during business hours along with a copy of your driver’s license and a copy of your lease agreement or purchase agreement or mail it to 108 Sicily St Harrisonburg, LA 71340 ATTN: Utility Office. After your application is received, it will be processed.

*If you own the property, you will need to provide proof of ownership (ie: settlement statement, deed, etc).

Stopping Service

If you need to stop service at any time, simply stop in or call the Utility Billing Office at 318-744-5794. You will need to provide the date that you wish to stop service and a forwarding address. Note that we will need 48 hours notice in order to get a final reading on your meter(s) in order to process your final bill.

If you wish to stop service you can do so by submitting a request in person during regular business hours, or via phone at 318-744-5794. We require 1 business day notice to final out an account.

A final bill will be sent to your forwarding address during the regular monthly billing cycle.